“If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too; . . .
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same . . .
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it.” — (Joseph) Rudyard Kipling
In these times of financial turmoil, while nobody can know what’s around the corner, I believe wholeheartedly that Kipling had it right. I also believe that the less fear we give in to, the quicker we’ll pull out of trouble. In that spirit, here are the top ten things I believe are important to remember in the months ahead:
1. Money and survival are NOT the same. Remember, we survived for thousands of years without money, some cultures still don’t use it today. You don’t need money as much as you’ve been trained to think you do. There are people even today that do quite well with barter, or are even self-sufficient. Using money is not the only way to survive, let alone live.
2. So long as you have something to offer, you’ll have a way to get what you want. Money’s an intermediary that we use for convenience, to give a way to value different things. If you have something to offer that people want, though, then you’re in the driver’s seat as far as asking for what you want in return. It doesn’t have to be money.
3. Worried about getting enough to eat? Food doesn’t originate on supermarket shelves. It can be grown as well as bought. In fact, there’s an interesting movement called guerrilla gardening that’s worth looking up
4. Money is a means to an end, not an end in itself. Life can sometimes be richer if you focus directly on creating experiences – and a lot of them take surprisingly little money to achieve!
5. There are too many systems, organisations & governments dependent on the monetary system for them to let it fail. It will be propped up, and survive. Meanwhile, think creatively and develop some fall back systems you can rely on to cover your basics, and you’ll get through. In fact, you’ll probably end up better off!
6. There are other ways to get what you want besides money, and sometimes they’re better and faster. Remember “The Secret”? Personally, I love contests when I have my eye on something, but it’s important to realise that if you want something, you don’t necessarily have to get it through raising money.
7. Besides fear and greed, there is a third path, not ruled by emotional responses to money, and it’s the one all the rich people follow. Warren Buffet’s not panicking – in fact he’s buying up shares by the truckload while they’re on sale!
8. A recession, and more so a depression, are when more fortunes are made than any other time.
9. Having nothing to lose is a POWERFUL position to be
10. Money doesn’t exist. (watch for another post on this one!)
…Once you get this last one truly, you’ll know exactly how to create as much of it as you need!
PS Like this article? It’s available for reprint at Ezine Articles